Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Georgette Heyer

About a year ago, I was looking at free ebooks on Amazon and came across a book by Georgette Heyer.  It was set in Regency England, which is an era I love, and it was free, so I downloaded it.  I loved it.  It was full of the language, manners, and attire that I find so fun.  I am not sure that I would have actually liked living back then, but I love to dream that I would.  Everything seemed so polite and proper.

Of course, my favorite characters are those that are a little more sassy and don't quite follow the rules.  This leads me to what so far is my favorite Georgette Heyer book - Grand Sophy.



Sophia is raised by her politician father "on the Continent" (Europe).  She, of course, has a nanny and governess at the appropriate times, but her father always to be more mannish.

Then comes the time when her father must travel to Brazil and Sophy (as everyone calls her) comes to live with her Aunt and cousins in London.  Sophy is not anything they could have imagined.  She brings life to a stuff household along with a monkey.

I have read several of Mrs. Heyer's books and like I stated previously this is my favorite.  I just love Sophy.  She is not necessarily improper, but just as such a sparkle about her.  She sees things for what they are and if need be, does something about it.

If you enjoy Regency literature, I would highly recommend Grand Sophy and Georgette Heyer.  Below I have listed a few other of Mrs. Heyer's books and links to them on Amazon.  I hope you enjoy.

Frederica
Cotillion
The Reluctant Widow
The Nonesuch
Venetia
Bath Tangle
Lady of Quality

1 comment: